Saturday, July 24, 2010

Long time, no blogs!

So Kristen and I are doing well....we have heard from many that they are missing our blogs and since that we have been MIA for about a week we thought it was time! We have currently just finished a great breakfast in Airlie Beach on the Great Barrier Reef before we head up to Magnetic Island for some more fun in the sun!

The reason we havent been able to blog is because we've been on an island, and a boat, and then driving for 12hrs to get from the island to the boat! We went on a tour of Fraser Island with our VERY Australian tour guide (in which Kristen tried to gather some of our new friends and get Jill to me to kiss him...however apparently I wasn't the first in line, I'm ok with that haha) for 2 days.  Fraser Island is the world's largest sand island and home to the worlds most genetically pure strain of dingoes, the 2nd most fatal snake, sharks all on the Eastern beach, a ridiculous of spiders...600 species to be exact, and a beautiful rainforest.  We toured around seeing the lakes, going for walks, sitting in the salt water champagne pools where waves crash over to fill the pools...Jill loved being splashed by them. We went for a plane ride around the island where we were lucky enough to see sharks, dolphins, whales, and stingrays..We also spent spent some time at a beautiful lookout point watching the whales migrate north.  Kristen got some awesome video footage! We also finally got on a tour with people our age, and had a blast making some new friends...

After saying goodbye, we got up the next morning to make the loooong 12 hr trek up the coast to the beautiful Whitsunday Islands and Airlie Beach.  Kristen drove through the day, and Jill tackled the night as well as catching a few Kangaroos crossing the road! After sleeping for 6 hrs we got up early to hop on a 2 day sailing trip around the islands.  It was incredibly windy, so crossing the Whitsundays straight Kristen got absolutely drowned from sitting at the front of the boat...however I got payback from laughing at her as I was drenched on the way back! We snorkelled in a couple of places, both being a little nervous but jumped right in and loved seeing all the coral and schools of fish...we could literally touch them! We also made it over to Whitehaven beach which is the worlds most beautiful and purest beach.  You can clean your jewellery in the sand, brush your teeth with it, as well as make glass! It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen!! We ate great food, met some more great people, and watched the stars from the ocean...

The next day we made our way down to the beach, played in the waves..Kristens watch broke (no longer does indiglow) and Jill got cut from being tossed by the waves.  But it was still a hoot!! After we started to make our way back in massive waves, thankfully Kristen took her Vitamin G (trusty Gravol) and we had a blast coming back.  Going 10.4 knots the wind was so strong that our boat was literally on its side a couple of times.  Once we made it back to the hostel, we realized that we got a little sun....and yes, family I (Jill) put sunscreen on....but still look like a lobster today! Kristen looks great...sunkissed and tanned, taking after her father...the dirty Mexican (Paul..those are your daughters words..not mine! haha)

When we got back on solid ground, we went out for an awesome dinner...in which I tried vegemite, Kangaroo AND crocodile all in one day...it was actually good too! Except for the vegemite...Kristen took a video and it's priceless...I tried as politely as possible to tell the Aussies that their iconic sandwich spread tasted like shit! haha. I think that I'll stick to Peanut butter!

We are now in Magnetic Island...our hostel is right on the ocean and it's absolutely beautiful with the moon and the palm trees! We are bathing in the sunscreen tomorrow and finding a great place on the beach to set up for the day before heading up to our last and final destination on this amazing roadtrip...Cairns! We are a sad to leave, we can't believe that our month is up.  I have threatened Kristen many times that she is going home alone....she's apparently alright with it, and has it all planned out to upgrade my ticket and get first class tickets! haha

We will try to blog more...with pictures next time!

Love,
Joan and Sten!

No comments:

Post a Comment