Friday, July 9, 2010

15,000 ft and falling!!!

OMG!!!!!!!! We did it!!!!! We still can't believe it happened, but we have the DVD, photos AND a free tshirt to prove it to you all!!
We woke up yesterday morning with butterflies in our stomachs, me asking Kristen every 5 minutes if she's really wanted to do this, and Kristen staring blankly into space the whole day!  We were dropped off at these scenic falls outside of Lake Taupo, which would have been beautiful if we weren't in a panicked state...in which our bus driver then decided to tell us to take all of our belongings off the bus and with us to the skydiving place.  Kristen and I looked at each other more than once, and thought...why is this?! Are they taking precaution incase we don't make it?! 

When we arrived at the skydiving place, Kristen still looked like a deer caught in headlights and I was just shitting my pants. Then suddenly we were told to suit up...this is where it gets fun.  We were the last ones to suit up, the last ones on the plane, which meants the FIRST ones out the door!!! EEEEEK!!!! This is where I start to freak out and held onto Kristens leg the whole ride up!  At about 11,000 ft we put our oxygen masks on..this is where I saw Kristens face fill with worry and I just kept on saying to myself OMG I'M THROWING MYSELF OUT OF A PLANE! 15,000 ft came, the door swung open and my instructor swung my legs around so that we were sitting on the edge of the plane.  This is where I really start to panic. Before I knew it, my instructor says to me..."I hope I remember how to do this" and we were off! Kristen watched as her friend vanish under the plane, and seconds later she too made the leap! 


For Kristen actually leaving the plane felt like the hitting the first hill on mccarrells lake road at high speed, your stomach does that oh shit feeling!!!  and you actually feel weight less like you are falling!!  Then the air resistance kicks in and it is quite pleasant.   then a minute goes by and you are thinking OMG this is getting a bit long! why havent we used the parachute yet!  for a moment i was acutally bored...and blamed Jill.  then i remembered I was flying through the air, literally falling from the sky.


For me I still couldn't get it through my head that the girl who HATES flying and is TERRIFIED of heights threw herself into mid air falling 10,000ft in 60 seconds.  It was the most liberating feeling ever, and my fears actually left my mind.  I took in the beautiful views, and definitely hammed it up for the camera! When the parachute released it was so smooth, and my instructor actually left me steer the parachute which was AWESOME! I'm lost for words at how I was feeling during that moment.

We still woke up a day later, looking at each other and saying OMG...WE JUMPED OUT OF A PLANE! We have fully survived, however Kristen found out that her teeth become a little sensitive to the -16 weather that we flew through while smiling like a fool for the camera! I am still in shock...OMG, I DID IT!

Back to Auckland for us tomorrow....but not before going out and watching the All Blacks play South Africa tonight in the Tri-Nations Cup.  We tried to make it back to Auckland today for the game, but a beer and "The Shed" will have to do!



Before we know it, we will be back in Australia, and driving our own car.....OMG!!!!

Jill & Krissie.

1 comment: